[Movie Review] Across The Universe (2007)


..Sounds of laughter shades of life
are ringing through my open ears
inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which
shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe.. (The Beatles)

At First i was bought this DVD because the title reminds me with one of the Beatles song (my favorite one). Doubt this movie in the beginning, the actors and actresses not quite known, but when i know that Julie Taymor is the (wo)man behind the scene, im starting to wonder if this movie will be as good as Frida (2002)
This musical movie takes settings in the 1960s (Viet-US war). The story and plot itself kinda bizzare, pointless, and confusing but what i like the most is that Taymor's can blend between the story and the songs, so natural, she just knows where to put the right song.Every song adaptation interpretation and setting is spot on, fans of the Beatles will recognize that every detail in Taymor's images recall an instance, a photograph, a line or a quote from the band. There are a lot of beautiful scene, that captured love between Jude and Lucy, Lucy and her brother, or just friendship love. There is no doubt that Beatle's songs play an important role in this movie.

My favorite scene : when Jude (Jim Sturgess) singing
All You Need Is Love at the rooftop of New York building by mean of finding Lucy (E.Rachel Wood). (*so romantic, and i always fallen for British accent :L :L )

My Rate : 7.7/10

No comments: